Sunday, October 5, 2014

Utah

I crossed the Rockies on I-70. A spectacular ride. I found this
little BLM campground near Minturn, CO. Very sweet.




This is part of the civilized bike path along 
the Colorado River near Moab, UT.


And this is a group of bikers after a less civilized ride waiting 
to get cleaned up in the only way that makes sense


Moab is the gateway to Arches NP. The whole area was crawling 
with tourists, mostly Europeans it seemed. I couldn't find 
parking at Delicate Arch, the archetype of arches. But here
are some shots of some the less rabidly visited spots.

Balanced Rock.




Near Balanced Rock.


Double Arch.



Turret Arch.



Heading west from Moab this was the view.


Canyonlands NP was also full of tourists. I managed to find 
a spot in another nice BLM campground.


I moved on. This is one of the natural bridges in Natural Bridges NP.


And some Indian ruins there.


Here's Lake Powell after years of drought.


More amazing landscape in Utah.



Finally, I arrived in Capital Reef where I was able to find a 
campsite. The National Parks campsites are first come,
first served. Once you're there you can stay for up to two weeks.


Capital Reef was settled by Mormon pioneers and the fruit
orchards remain. It is a very beautiful spot. And very remote.
There's a deer herd that fearlessly comes into the campground
and will practically eat out of your hand. Notice the one 
checking out the tent for treats.
















No comments:

Post a Comment